Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Some General Cigar Chat

Well, recently, I've had the privilege to obtain and smoke some great cigars. I have to be honest, like many who enjoy cigars, I've been enamored with what Drew Estate is putting out. Their cigars continue to amaze me, and I'm really pleased to have been introduced to them. Following are a few of my favorites:

Acid Hawg - This cigar really rocks. I remember the first one that I enjoyed was from a local B&M (if you could call it that), and when I smoked it, I was like, "Damn, did they get their incense mixed up with their sticks?!" So, I did a bit of research and found that the DE Acid line is infused. What was really great about this stick is that it didn't leave that lingering strong cigar smell, and it has a great after taste.

Liga Privada No. 9 - As you can tell from my review, I love this stick. It hits a home run every time I smoke it. I think what I like most about it, is that it really personifies the personality of Steve Saka. It's a medium to strong stick, has a great meat and potatoes flavor to it, and it's perfectly rolled.

Liga Undercrown - You just have to try this cigar. It has a lot of the same flavor characteristics as the No. 9, but the changes give it its own uniqueness. I don't think it's quite as strong in its flavor profile as the No. 9, but if you're looking for something that's a bit less in price, get the Undercrown.

Flying Pig - Straight up strong. It's a great smoke, and I enjoy the size. The RG is about 60, I think, but it's a fairly stout stogie. Has a lot of the same flavors as the No.9, but more intense, and the nic hit is a bit stronger.

Dirty Rat - Another great DE cigar. Nice shorter smoke for when you don't have a ton of time. Great burn, and a lot of flavor.

Arturo Fuente Short Story Maduro - In my mind, these are one of the best short smokes for maduro lovers. These things take about 45-minutes to an hour to enjoy, they pack solid ash, and great flavors. Just try one, I guarantee you'll nub it.

Carlos Toraño Signature Series Torp - This one's a gem. If you enjoy smoked meats, this cigar will keep you trippin'. I've shared these with friends and they absolutely love them. Order a box and leave them in your humi for a few months. They only get better over time.

Carlos Torño 1959 Exodus Silver - Need a mild smoke? This one's it. 'Nuff said. The blend is great. Beautiful flavor, easy on the palate.

Acid Opulence - I can't say enough about the DE cigars. The opulence has a perfect mild blend and a great infusion of some very middle-east style flavors. The best part is that they don't overwhelm you. These guys really have infused cigars down to a science.

Ron Stacy Signature Series Corona by Sultan Cigars - I'm looking forward to a box of these. They're a great short smoke, but they pack huge flavor into the corona size. I was fortunate enough to do a review on these prior to release, and except for some burn issues that I had (based on improper humidity), this smoke is amazing. Smoked meat all the way, and just a bit of twang. And for those who know about twang, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I have an RS Sig Edmundo that I've been waiting to torch for a special occasion. Looking forward to it, but regretting it at the same time because it's the last one that I have. Good thing I know Ron, personally.

That's about it for the sticks that have really been memorable lately. I've been having a lot of fun doing some cigar art. If you like man-cave stuff, check it out. It features naked women and cigars. Can't go wrong, right? I've also been opening up my Facebook to cigar vendors, and owners lately. I absolutely love the posts by Jonathan Drew. The guy is hilarious, but one thing I've found... he knows cigars in a big way. Don't let his fun-loving persona fool you, the guy is sharp as a tack. Also was contacted (by phone) by Carlos Fuente about a piece of artwork that featured the Opus X Forbidden City. I have to admit, listening to that message was a huge thrill. The guy has done more for cigars than almost anyone in the past century (aside from J. Drew). It was such a privilege to get that message. I'll post more about this in a dedicated post once some things are finalized.

Anyway, that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment