Wednesday, September 28, 2011

An Interview with Paul Bush, Owner of Flatbed Cigar Company

I was really pleased to be introduced to the Panacea line of cigars by some BOTLs from one of the forum sites that I frequent. What intrigued me about this particular line of cigars is that they are located in Bucks County Pennsylvania. As many of you may know, Pennsylvania was once a hot bed for cigar production. In fact, the term "Stogie" was coined as an abbreviation of the word Conestoga, which is a town near Lancaster, Pennsylvania, but is also the name given to the wagons that originated in this area. Many of the drivers of these wagons were given or were able to purchase relatively inexpensive cigars. Eventually, the term "stogie" came to represent these cigars.

But you didn't come here for a history lesson, did you? Well, too bad... okay, seriously, though, there is a method to my madness. Paul Bush, the owner of Flatbed Cigar Company, is a huge proponent of keeping things simple, old-school, and bringing back the storied history of a state that once produced more cigars than Cuba.
The great thing about Paul is that he's a very down-to-earth and accessible fellow. After being introduced to the Panacea line, I e-mailed him and asked if he would be interested in answering some interview questions. He said he'd be happy to, and within a few days, I had sent him questions and he had answered them. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you all to Paul Bush, owner of the Flatbed Cigar Company.

Puffs and Pints: I noticed in a previous interview that you mentioned the CAO MX2 as one of your favorite cigars. What is it that draws you to a particular cigar if it’s not your own blend?

Paul Bush: With this cigar I had just met with Cano and was interested in trying all their cigars. However, many cigars I just simply pick up off the shelf and try. Some are recommended, others are tucked in the corner of a shop looking lonely. I don't have a methodology to "trying". I do look for unknowns and new, but also will try the "mainstream" cigars. Cigars are fun. That should always be front and foremast in the minds of manufacturers and retailers. Cigar are celebratory; graduation, births, promotions, victories, etc. So, in my opinion the deep science that is sometimes applied is OK, but needs to remain light. The CAO MX2 was simply one that I was exposed to, smoked, and really liked.

P&P: In today’s economy and with the negativity that surrounds tobacco products (specifically the new warnings on cigarette packages) and the possibility of the FDA trying to control your product at an even higher level, what prompted you to start up the Flatbed Cigar Company?

PB: I grew up on a farm in New England. The son of two immigrants I learned to do with little, maintain what you had, and fix what was broken. Education was also a big focus in my family. It's the "perfect storm" , if you will, for entrepreneurs. I worked in corporate America for 17 years before starting Flatbed Cigar Company. There certainly were less regulated industries to get involved with, but this is the one that felt right to me. There is farming, retail, wholesale, marketing, advertising, etc. Everything that I have been exposed to since my days in Massachusetts. The agricultural aspect is what most appealed to me. We will just have to see what lies ahead w/r/t all the possible regulation.

P&P: Okay, this next one is a long one, I apologize for that, but I think it’s important to a lot of cigar smokers, today.
Many “informational” Web sites try to equate cigars with cigarettes and point at the danger inherent to smoking. As a cigar smoker myself, I know the differences between what goes into a cigarette vs. what goes into a cigar, especially regarding the chemicals used not only to enhance tobacco growth, but also in the actual processing and manipulation of the product. Flatbed Cigar Co. espouses taking the “old school” approach to growing tobacco. From an agricultural standpoint, what does “old school” mean to you and for your product? Specifically, are you taking a more organic approach to growing tobacco?

PB: We are not strategically approaching our processes as organic. We simply manufacture our cigars the way others have done for many decades...what I call "old school". That means we are not manipulating the leaf in any way...no coloring, flavoring, etc. We simply; plant, pick, nurture, and roll!

P&P: One of your releases is the Panacea Black 760 in natural or maduro wrapper. I’m incredibly happy about this because I love the larger ring gauge and longer length in a maduro wrapper. A lot of companies are releasing these types of sticks, and one that comes to mind is Drew Estate’s “My Uzi Weighs a Ton.” For cigar smokers that might compare these two cigars, what is it that sets the 760 apart from other blends in sticks of this size?

PB: I have not smoked the enthusiast so I can't comment on that blend. What I can say about our large ring gauge cigars is they are not grenades...meaning even the novice cigar enthusiast can enjoy them. Our Panacea Grande line is comprised of all large cigars, where our Panacea Classic line is all, well....classic sizes. However, because they are large in size does not mean they are unbalanced, over-powering blends. In fact, they are the same blends as our classic line. The larger ring gauge simply allows for more filler ignition so the shapes will smoke differently from the sister cigars in the Classic line.

P&P: In your mind, what is it that makes a cigar great?

PB: Oh, there are many things. Age, soil, sun, rain, the wood in the barn, wind, rollers, tools, temperature....the list goes on. However, at the end of the list it all comes down to "balance". When all is done you have a bunch of leaf in front of you....the sun is down, the tractor is off, and time has passed. Now you have to make something great out of what is there in your lap. So get to blending something that is great from start to finish. What and how you place the leaf means a lot. Balance.

P&P: What was your first great smoke and what is it about the smoke that you feel made it great?

PB: A Phillies Tip! It was great because I was about 10 or 11, and my buddy and I thought we were now cool like our Dads.

P&P: What is your all-time favorite cigar?

PB: My Red label Habano is my favorite cigar. I enjoy it in the Perfecto shape. To me, it is perfectly balanced. Nice creamy, full smoke, a little bit of spice, molasses...just a great blend.

P&P: If you would, tell us a bit about the process you go through to come up with blends and what it is that makes a great blend.

PB:This is very subjective. We all have very different taste buds/pallets. However, I think we do all share some common buds....if you will. I like to start out with a leaf that I think is "down the middle", or "middle of the road". Then layer in the leaf you know will add the distinctive characteristics. All of our cigars share a "jumping off point" but they land in very different places.

P&P: Final question, but before that, thanks very much for taking the time to do this interview. I have no doubt that there will be a lot of readers from Puff.com who will be interested in seeing what you have to say and purchasing your cigars. Are there any things in the hopper that you have planned that you can tell us about? Perhaps even an exclusive look at what’s coming down the pike for the Flatbed Cigar Company?

PB: Thank you for the opportunity, and I hope your readers find something of value in my responses.
I can share some news with you. I have a new blend coming out later this year....Panacea Blue. A Cameroon with a blend of Dominican, Nicaraguan, and Pennsylvania! I slipped a few out over the last year to customers and the feedback was great. So, we put it into production. As with all our releases, we do a limited number and then ramp up as we see necessary. Blue will first be out in Grande form, then later in our Classic line.

Thanks again.

Paul
Mellow on ahead.......
There you have it ladies and gents. Paul is a class act and I want to thank him not only for this interview opportunity, but for also sending me some great smokes to review for this blog.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment