Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chess Extreme 3 5/8 x 60 Torpedo Review

Well, here we are on winter's backside... wait, that didn't sound quite right, but we'll go with it. Heck, we might even talk about backsides more in just a bit. Right now, though, I want to chat a bit about a relatively new cigar on the market: The Chess Extreme Torpedo with a Corojo wrapper.

Speaking of wrappers, that's one good thing about cigars: You can generally count on them to keep their wrappers on. Unlike some folks on this planet. And no, I'm not talking about mid-life crisis moms and dads joining a nudist colony, I'm talking about guys, some who are even pushing my age, who can't keep their trousers up above their asses and underwear.

I know, I shouldn't get my binder all twisted up about some idiot who thinks their waist is below their gluteus maximus, but it irritates me. Why is this any type of fashion trend? I mean, it makes you look like an idiot, it can't be comfortable, and on top of that, you have to hike your pants up every two-seconds. So, what reason could any sane person have for wanting to show off their backsides or their tighty whiteys or their plaid boxers or, God forbid, a thong? To be honest, I'm not sure, so let's take the time to smoke a cigar while we think about it.

The Chess Extreme Torpedo is a compact little rocket. This particular model sports a semi-oily Corojo wrapper and to be honest, it looks a lot like the NUB Habano. However, when you take a closer look, you'll notice some differences (aside from the band's brightly colored red and yellow checked pattern and gold print logo). I received this particular gordo sized torp as a gift from my friend John Crabtree. He simply asked that I review it and let Willis Cabrera know about the review. In a later post, I'll have an interview with Willis, who is the marketing guru for Chess Cigars.

At the foot, the tobacco looks densely packed, the cigar is firm to the touch and has a good feel when I give it a slight squeeze. There are some slight wrinkles in the cap and around the head and shoulder area, but it's not something that will affect the taste or even cause the wrapper to unravel when I clip the cap. Overall, the construction is decent. I'd give it three out of five puffs.

From what I've been able to dig up on this particular cigar, the binder and filler are both Dominican. One of the most exciting things I notice right off is the smell of honey at the foot of the cigar. We're not talking about a nuance, or a slight scent, it's full on honey and it smells really good. Since I've never had a cigar with such a strong aroma of honey, I'm really looking forward to torching it to see if that comes through as a flavor. I should also get some spicy flavors with this cigar since the wrapper is listed as Corojo.

Cold draw has the earthy tobacco flavors you'd expect, some hint of honey, but other than that, not a lot is coming through. So, let's torch it and see what happens.

My initial puffs only have that hint of honey that I tasted on the cold draw. It's very mild and the flavors are incredibly subdued. I don't have a cold, so I'm pretty sure my palate's okay. Through the first third, the mildness continues, which surprises me because this stick is listed as full-bodied. To me, that signifies that it should have some major flavor profiles, but unfortunately, I'm not getting much of anything. Just to test things out, I do a retrohale and the flavors are still subdued. No pepper, no spice, just easy-going tobacco and smoke.

As I work into the second third, I noticed slight bitterness, but nothing that indicates trouble down the line. The stick is working itself into an uneven burn, which surprises me. I've had it at solid 67% rH and the temp has been good for a number of weeks.

Okay, so the flavors are subdued, but what flavors am I getting in general, you may ask. Well, there's a bit of burnt grass/green grass and caramel. And that's really about it. I do want to give kudos for the smoke being mild and not harsh. The stick has a dense ash. In fact, I had this one down to the nub and didn't lose the ash until I had about 1/2" left to smoke. Then I lapped it, of course.

Speaking of ash, let's get back to our conversation about low-slung trousers. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all about hipsters on the ladies. I enjoy the fact that some women seem to like displaying their goods for the world to see. I think it even serves a purpose, it shows that they like living a bit on the wild side, and I'm sure the single guys pick up on that then pick up on them. So that works out nicely.

But, low-riders on a guy? I just don't get it. Do women find it sexy? I mean, I've heard rumors that this trend started in prisons to let fellow inmates know that you're ready to get a bit randy. I actually even thought that rumor was kind of funny. However, turns out it's not true. I snoped it and we all know snopes.com knows everything.

I will say this much, when I see a dude strolling down the street or in a store with his pants dragging, I always start singing that song "Ya look like a fool with your pants on the ground" and the great thing is, it doesn't matter how big the guy is or how tough he looks, I always know I can run faster because it's hard to run with your pants hangin' down like that. But I digress. Let's finish this stogie.

Through the second third, I did get some toast flavors, and finally, a slight hint of chili pepper. Throughout the rest of the cigar, I got the same flavor profile with more prominent caramel and some cream. There was never a point during this cigar when it was harsh and the overall strength seemed to be on the mild side.

I have to say, I truly appreciate a gifted cigar and I love doing reviews. I'll go back to this stogie in a few months and smoke another one and see if things remain the same. It's probably not a stick that I'll smoke often, but if the price is right and you don't want to buy a Nub, this may be the cigar for you. I'd at least give it a try and give a shout out to Willis and the gang at Chess Cigars, they're a great bunch and I think it's important that we support these guys that are just starting out.

I'm going to give this stogie a 3 out of 5 puffs at this time.


And as a suggestion for what to do when you have to deal with guys that walk around with their pants on the ground, put a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other, then their pants will fall down and you'll get a good laugh.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment